Subject: Re: Recorder noise

Re: Recorder noise

From: Andrew Jamieson <ajamiesn_at_mira.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:46:16 +1100

Hmmmm. Now I don't have a recorder (although donations will be kindly
accepted ;) so I'll have to work off the schematics. A few things jump out
immediately:

* If the noise goes away when the music is stopped, then it's not the amp
that's causing it, but the pre-amp. This is kinda moot, seeing as the two
parts are integrated into the MAS chip, but it could be helpful later on.

* The recorder has _very_ little by pass and filter capacitance when
compared to the recommended implemetation in the MAS datasheet. The
datasheet shows three filter caps on the main power supply, ranging from pF
to uF, to filter out different frequencies on the power rail. If the noise
is of a very low frequency (such as 15hz) then the Archos may be missing the
higher rated caps (uF).

* The schematic does not show a capacitor to PVDD. This is an auxilary
supply to the analog circuitry, and is specified as requiring a 3nF bypass
cap to AVDD1. It's possible that hooking this up would help ....

* The input lines on serial audio input (SIC, SID, SII) are left
floating. It is possible that these are picking up noise from the circuit
and causing problems. I would recommend tying these high (I think ... the
datasheet is a little unclear on this, which is probably why they are left
floating. Best to tie them to something tho ...)

My best bet at the moment is the PVDD cap, and maybe some additonal bypass
caps (but modding these in a completed circuit is often counter-productive).

Hope this helps ......

PS: I'll take a look at some of the pictures of the recorder on the net,
and see if I can see anything else ....