Subject: Re: Recorder noise

Re: Recorder noise

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:20:45 +0100 (CET)

Andrew Jamieson wrote:

> * If the noise goes away when the music is stopped, then it's not the amp
> that's causing it, but the pre-amp.

There are actually two levels of noise. One louder during playback and one
quieter that is always present when the unit is turned on.

> If the noise is of a very low frequency (such as 15hz) then the Archos may
> be missing the higher rated caps (uF).

The noise itself is more or less white noise. The 10-15 Hz I was talking about
is the oscillating changes heard in the noise while displaying the VU meters,
sounding "dzi-dzi-dzi-dzi" at a rate of approximately 10-15 "dzi" per second.

> * The schematic does not show a capacitor to PVDD. This is an auxilary
> supply to the analog circuitry, and is specified as requiring a 3nF bypass
> cap to AVDD1. It's possible that hooking this up would help ....

In one of the photos on the Yahoo group page I can see pin 63 (PVDD) is
connected to one side of a tiny component, probably a capacitor, and pin 64
(AVDD1) is conntected to the other side. Here's the URL (you have to register
with yahoo):