Subject: Cordless remote hack for a buck or two?

Cordless remote hack for a buck or two?

From: J. <jaf60_at_it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:39:53 -0700

Not strictly to do with R/E, but this is probably the best place to
bring this up. On the verge of sleep last night, a crazy idea occurred
to me that just might not be crazy (but probably is). You can get cheap
tiny all-in-one IR photo diodes that have a build in 40khz(?) signal
detect and amplification, designed to greatly simplify production of IR
remote systems. 3 leads - positive, negative, output. I'm thinking, if
you connected one of these to the archos, with the output wired directly
to the cord-remote input line (though maybe a $0.50c Schmitt trigger
buffer or inverter is needed?), then instead of having to build a
PIC-based remote to create the correct 9600baud signal, you could just
use an off the shelf programmable IR remote, and have it output the
signal - and the photo-diode package will convert the 9600baud IR pulses
into electrical signals and operate the archos.

Possible problems:

1) From memory, I think standard IR remotes use a 40khz carrier to avoid
interference from other IR sources, but maybe it's 40hz (I can't
remember) which wouldn't be enough to carry a 9600baud connection.

2) How to program the programmable remote? Don't they normally just copy
another remote? You might need to stick an LED in your printer port and
write a quick signal generator.

3) It's INSANE!

Thoughts? Can this work? Now that I also use my achos as the ehart of my
home sound system, a cordless remote that doesn't require the free time
needed to build it myself is very tempting...