Subject: USB2 on Linux - an eye witness' story!

USB2 on Linux - an eye witness' story!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:24:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Hey, I thought a story from the real-world would entertain you lot! ;-)

I bought myself a Belkin USB2 card a few weeks ago (based on NEC USB2
equipment), and I happily patched my 2.4.18 Linux kernel using the EHCI
drivers patch found at [1].

I configured, rebuilt, rebooted and had problems since then. After I've
insmod'ed my USB kernel mods and I switched on my Archos Recorder, I always
got segfaults when doing 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', but 'cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices' seemed to find and identify my Archos.

So, today I sucked down the 2.4.17 kernel to do more tests with a kernel I
known Björn has used USB2 successfully with. And it failed again.

Then after having checked all sorts of web pages out there, I tried to reboot
and while having my Archos connected and *running* all the time during bootup
and when insmodding the modules...

... and it worked!

I then rebooted again with my 2.4.18-usb2 kernel and had another go:

1. Boot linux and start up everything as normal
2. Start the Archos plugged in on USB2
3. insmod ehci-hcd
4. insmod usb-storage
5. *works*

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: FUJITSU Model: MHN2200AT Rev: 7256

I can now mount /dev/sda1 on a directory and access my Archos Recorder
properly...

[1] = http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=503534&group_id=3581&atid=303581

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Hacking Archos => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/