Subject: Re: Functionality suggestion - Play Queue

Re: Functionality suggestion - Play Queue

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:04:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Dave Chapman wrote:

> I only have limited experience of MP3 players (I don't own an Archos at the
> moment), which may put me in a very good or very bad position to suggest
> Rockbox functionality.

Well, I joined up here long before I got my own too... ;-)

> What I would like to see would be the idea of a "play queue". This queue
> contains the songs that you have asked your Archos to play.
>
> To this queue, you add either individual tracks, whole directory trees or
> pre-defined playlists using the directory browser. You should be able to
> add the songs to the end of the play queue (either in order or randomly),
> or add the songs randomly in random locations in the play queue.
>
> You would also need functionality to control the play queue - reset, pause,
> resume, skip to next track - and eventually also the ability to delete and
> move songs in the play queue.

I think this is basicly what have been talked about before (most certainly on
IRC if not here). It has been refered to as "dynamic" or "anonymous"
playlist.

> In terms of implementation, I would vote against using text files to store
> the play queue, but instead have a binary data structure (e.g. a doubly
> linked-list) stored on the hard disk, with some information (e.g. the next
> 8 songs) cached to minimise hard disk accesses. The play queue should take
> a constant (small) amount of RAM, independent of the size of the queue.

I have faith in the system Stuart written code for, that keeps the file list
on disk and keeps a list of "indexes" into the file list to find the
particular file names.

> I don't know if the Archos can currently do this, or if this is what the
> developers have in mind for Rockbox. The recent mailing-list thread on
> playlists doesn't mention queuing songs/playlists.

We will be able to do lots. I'm positive we will have "queuing songs".

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Hacking Archos => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/