Subject: Re: some questions

Re: some questions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:41:38 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Greg Haerr wrote:

> 1. In the short term, I suggest that we move to more general-purpose font
> rendering code. In my Microwindows Project (http://microwindows.org) I
> have written all the code to do this, and it's extremely small.
> Basically, I've got a BDF->.c file converter, as well as code that will
> draw the font. In this case, the chartables.c file can be quickly replaced
> with a much-more- readable .c file created from the bdf file converter,
> which allows looking at or modifying the characters, as well as adding
> completely new fonts quickly. Once the bits are in place, the existing
> rockbox code can be used to draw the character.

This certainly sounds like "The Right Thing" to me. I'm all for this. Let us
know what we can do to (help you) get this in place!

> 2. In the longer term, the entire mid-level access to the display could be
> replaced, IMHO. This code could easily come from Microwindows, and would
> treat the display always as an entirely graphical area, of course
> supporting text output. But then Benoit's interesting suggestions could be
> easily implemented, regarding anything multimedia or image-based. For
> instance, having a .bmp or .gif file on HD with the same name as a song
> could easily be displayed while that song is playing, etc...

The code "would treat the display always as an entirely graphical area". I
don't quite understand in what way the current code doesn't do this.

This said, I have respect for your knowledge in the field and I am interested
in some more details on how (and to what) you would like to transform the
current lcd API.

> I've been meaning to jump in and code all this myself, but the codebase was
> moving very very quickly, and I haven't had the time to finish everything
> in one night.

The LCD API isn't moving that fast actually. It has been pretty solid for a
few weeks... :-)

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/