Subject: Playlists, id3-tags, index

Playlists, id3-tags, index

From: Linus G Larsson <lgl_at_leia.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 11:07:47 +0200

Hi,

I was reading "firmware/test/wavey/README.playlists", about
playlist-handling and arrays in memory.

I would like a (optinal) UI that works (more) like the iPod, where a
song is sorted based on its id3-tag rather than its place on disk. I
don't know how they handle it, but I imagine they build some kind of
database that holds all the songs on disk, and indexes them with the
tags. That way, it would be much easier for the user to just drop a
collection of songs on it, and hopefully as easy to find them.

The Archos would just display a screen with
"Artists"
"Albums"
"Playlists"
"Genres"
etc.

This could be used in conjunction with the suggestion of using an
in-memory array to keep track of the tracks (no pun intended) in a
playlist.

However, we would need some kind of program to index the tracks on the
Archos. I just wanted to check if this is what people feel like a good
solution, or am I way off base here?

Regards,
Linus