Subject: Re: How to build firmware and other issues

Re: How to build firmware and other issues

From: Paul Suade <paul.suade_at_laposte.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:01:55 +0200

> > 2. _memcmp could not be resolved so I had to add -lc to linker options in
> > apps
>
> Oh? What uses memcmp()? We should not rely on any external libc-like library
> (we've recently worked hard to remove the newlib dependency) so if we need
> memcmp() we should provide our own.

Just a precision, gcc for IA32 target have builtin counterparts of standard
strings operations (__builtin_strcpy, __builtin_strcmp, etc.) and memory
operations (__builtin_memcpy, __builtin_memset, etc.). But when using gcc
2.95.x for SH target, I was never able to use builtin versions (the advantage
of the builtin versions is that gcc can optimize them at compile-time).

Maybe gcc 3.1 for SH target enables most of them. I think you'd better to use
string.h for SH target (can be found in linux source) if you really want a good
code (SH has a "cmp.str" instruction which compares 4 bytes at once -
especially good to find a '\0' for example).

The option to disable the builtin counterpart is, if I remember well,
"-nobuiltin(s)", or somethink like that.