Subject: Re: Ogg Vorbis

Re: Ogg Vorbis

From: David Nielsen <Lovechild_at_foolclan.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:12:28 +0200

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 13:47, Florian Mösch wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Is there anybody who ever thought about implementing an Ogg Vorbis
> decoder for the Archos Boxes' DSP ?
> I'll try to find out if that would be possible.
> I don't know anything about that special DSP by now (but quite a lot
> about other DSPs) and also almost nothing about Ogg Vorbis (but quite a
> lot about signal processing).
> If you do have any information that could help me feel free to send me
> an e-mail :-)
>
> Florian.

Of the FAQ.

Q17. I don't see you mentioning other file types on your list of ideas. What
     about supporting those?
A17. Pessimist's Answer: At the current time we belive this is not very likely
     The Micronas chip (MAS3507) decoder in the archos does not natively
     support decoding and there is very little program space in the player to
     implement it ourselves. The alternative would be to write a software
     decoder as part of the RockBox firmware. However, as much as we love
     our players, the computing power of the Archos (SH1 microcontroller) is
     not fully sufficent for this need.

     Optimist's Answer: We can play any format if only we can write code for
     the DSP to decode it. The MAS 3507 (and 3587) are generic DSPs that
     simply have MP3 codecs in ROM. We can download new codecs in them and
     we will be the first to celebrate if we can get OGG or FLAC or anything
     into these DSPs. Unfortunately, we have no docs or tools for writing new
     MAS DSP code and Intermetall is very secretive about it. If anyone can
     help, please get in touch!

So there's the problem at hand, but anyways, good luck with your quest - I
love personally love it if my Archos box could play oggs..... when it
arrives...

- David