Subject: Re: MP3 plays silent

Re: MP3 plays silent

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 12:17:54 +0200

Heiko Scharke wrote:

> Recently I have bought the mp3 player "ARCHOS Jukebox 20
> Player".
> The firmware version on the player is 5.08.
>
> However, I have a quite big audio collection on CD-R (~15GB)
> which I have downloaded to the player.
> Most of the files can NOT be played. Althrough the seconds on
> the display are counting I hear only silence!!!!
> (I have also tested the rockbox from 07/28 with the same
> results.)
>
> I have tested my mp3 files under various software (winamp,
> jukebox) and hardware player (yamakawa 715).
> All tested players could play my mp3 files!!
>
> Is there anyone who can tell me what is wrong with the mp3 file:
>
> http://scharke.50megs.com/bad_split001.mp3

It has been encoded with a program that generates a faulty CRC code
(that's what the MAD Windamp plugin says anyway). Many players just
ignore the CRC code, while some play frames with bad CRC as silence.

Checked it a bit closer with mp3check (can be found here:
http://www.0vermann.de/), and while the file includes CRC fields,
they're all set to zero... mp3check can fix the CRC problem for you (use
the --fix-crc option).

--
Magnus Holmgren