Subject: General suggestion to Key settings

General suggestion to Key settings

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:49:42 +0200

Hello,

There's a big discussion about what buttons should do which function.

My idea could make the assignment changeable by the user. It seems to
me that implementing it would decrease the amount of discussion about
key assignments and makes it possible to test what function helps most
in real life. So the discussion about what functions are useful is
also more realistic.

- add each function somewhere in the Menu (if they aren't already
  there)
- give them a name (in the source)
- each function has two or more possible values (as it is now)
- assign the keys F1,F2,F3 and ON+F1/F2/F3 and others to this in a
  header file e.g. keys.h like this

  #define F1 FUNCTION_MENU
  #define F2 FUNCTION_SHUFFLE
  #define F3 FUNCTION_STATUSBAR
  #define ON_F1 FUNCTION FUNCTION_AVC

  with good defaults.
  If someone wants other assignments, he can change the file and
  recompile it.

- To make this work for all menu functions, for each function has to
  be distinguished:

  - The button press only changes the value to the next possible
    value (round robin) and there's no response by rockbox for that
    keypress. That is useful if the result is visible in
    the display (e.g. turning on/off shuffle is displayed in
    statusbar).
  - Pressing the button changes to the next possible value. For one
    second, the display shows the function name and the new value,
    maybe "AVC: 2s".

What do you think?

P.S.: In the future, if RockBox has HDD write access, we could make
the key assignments configurable inside RockBox. By now, setting them
before compiling is the best way, I think.

Bye, Uwe.