Subject: RE: max 200 entries in a dir. why?

RE: max 200 entries in a dir. why?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:52:01 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, John Wood wrote:

> Why do we have to load the entire folder at once? Can't we just load one
> page at a time?

We can, but that would make the operation a lot slower since it would need to
spin up the disk for each "page" and it would waste more battery (since if
wouldn't spin down, it would continue spinning instead).

> Besides, why do we have to store the whole directory when we're playing the
> song... surely we only need to store the DIR instance.

The directory-list is used when playing a single song selected from the dir,
as it continues to play the next song in the directory afterwards. Also, when
you're finished playing, you'll probably return to the same dir and then it
is good to already have the dir in the cache!

But yes, you can of course re-write the dir browser/cache system to function
even on 200+ entry directories. So far, you are the only one who've come
across this limit and since this is so rarely happening we just haven't put
much effort in this area.

You're welcome to dig in and provide us with solutions or fixes that'll make
things work for your giant-directories as well as the smaller ones. I'm sure
we will accept them if they're good!

For now, I'd suggest that you split your directory into a few smaller ones!
;-)

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/