Subject: Re: max 200 entries in a dir. why?

Re: max 200 entries in a dir. why?

From: Justin Heiner <jheiner_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:29:06 -0700 (PDT)

I'll throw my $.02 USD in on this idea (only friendly criticism of course :)

--- Bjoern Fischer <bfischer_at_Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:
> Another approach would be to require structured directory names, e.g.
> 0001_Freakpower
> 0002_Gus_Gus
> 0003_ZZ-Top
> ...you get the idea. A (Perl/Bourne-Shell)-Script or the sync software
> takes care that the numbering properly reflects the lexicographic
> ordering. The firmware doesn't need to perform sorting operations at all.

Doesn't seem flexible enough on the user end. I think a "Plug-N-Play" approach
is better, instead of some synch software.

> But this is all nothing compared to...
> ...yet another approach: Soon HDD write operations will be implemented
> (for both, recorder AND player, did I get this right?). Then it is possible
> to maintain an (hidden) index file for each directory, that is automatically
> updated by the firmware. This also takes the burden of sorting off every
> directory access. These index files can also be maintained by external
> software, but I would prefer the 'self-contained' solution.

The only problem with that idea is that it adds a file to every single folder
that is accessed. Personally, this reminds me of an old MSDOS virus checker
that added a check file to every folder on my hard drive. I remember it kind of
pissing me off :) If this kind of idea is going to be implemented I think it
should use a folder in the root called something like /.rockbox/, so that it
wouldn't interfere.

But again, as a wise man once stated, don't argue about it, code it! :-)

-Justin