Subject: Re[2]: HDD read ahead cache

Re[2]: HDD read ahead cache

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:50:29 +0200

Hello Björn,

Björn Stenberg wrote on Tuesday, August 13, 2002, 11:35:36 AM:

BS> Probably the easier way to test it is to make a more isolated test
BS> case that is not part of the mp3 playing process. Then we'll know
BS> if the cache is usable, and can start thinking about how to
BS> integrate it in the more complex mp3 playing environment.

I made a second test. I added

 // hdd cache read test
 ata_read_sectors(100,1,testbuffer);

at the end of the main loop at powermgm.c, so that code is called once
per minute.
I leaved the unit on without playing a mp3 file.

Result: every minute, the hdd spins up and reads the same sector
again. :-( Now i'm pretty sure that the hdd internal cache is not used
at all.

Could it be that one can enable/disable the cache of such a harddrive?

Bye, Uwe.