Subject: Re: [Patch] hidden files/dirs and dotfiles

Re: [Patch] hidden files/dirs and dotfiles

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:11:43 +0200

Bill Napier wrote:
> 1. Has an option to ignore any file/dir that has a "." as the first
> character in the filename. This can come in handy with the above
> feature to hide "hidden" files. Can also come in handy if you have no
> easy way to set the "hidden" bit on a file (ie. you're doing stuff
> from the command line or from a UNIX OS and can't set those attributes
> on a file). Just give it a name starting with "." and it won't be
> shown in the list (unless you want it to).

Nice feature, it will be merged.

> 2. Has an option to show any file/dir that has the "hidden" attribute
> set to show up with a "." in front of thier name (as if you mapped a
> FAT filesystem into an UNIX environment).

This feature is very confusing for (the majority of) windows users, who don't know what dot files are and just expect their dirs/files to be hidden or not.

In general, I do not like the software changing data.

> Things I had to change to get this working:
> 1. Had to remove the mp3filter option's check for the hidden
> attribute. Was this an unadvertised feature?

Yes. :-)

This feature will now be turned on/off with the same flag as your feature 1: "Show hidden files".

Thanks for the patch!

--
Björn