Subject: Configurable disk spindown

Configurable disk spindown

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:26:49 +0200

Hallo Björn,

Björn Stenberg schrieb am Monday, August 26, 2002, 3:21:16 PM:

BrS> Modified Files:
BrS> ata.c ata.h
BrS> Log Message:
BrS> Added configurable disk spindown. The disk will also now not spin
BrS> down while you are running around in the dir browser or pressing
BrS> buttons in the wps.

Really nice work so far! When it spins down or keeps spinned up
behaves exactly as I like it.

But: Not to spin up the disk speeds up dir-browsing ~ 2 sec or so, but
the drive moves its heads to a "sleep" position when it doesn't read
something for about a second.
Moving the heads out of this sleep position before being ready for
reading (the next dir) takes about 1 second. (One can test this by
browsing several directories with a pause of some seconds and browsing
through several dirs /very/ quickly, so that the hdd doesn't move the
heads to the "sleep" position.)

Is it possible to prevent the disk to move it's heads to the "sleep"
position? I think of a do_something() method in ata.c that only reads
again the last sector that was read and that's called every 0.5
seconds in the loop before spinning down the disk.

Bye, Uwe.