Subject: Re: PCM files & WAV-MP3

Re: PCM files & WAV-MP3

From: Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme_at_free.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:10:19 +0200

Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote:
> Please, please, please read the FAQ: http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/faq.html

I did already.
Search for "PCM" : none
Search for "WAV" : none

only :
"18 I don't see you mentioning other file types on your list of ideas.
What about supporting those?

Pessimist's Answer: At the current time we belive this is not very
likely The Micronas chip (MAS3507) decoder in the archos does not
natively support decoding and there is very little program space in the
player to implement it ourselves. The alternative would be to write a
software decoder as part of the RockBox firmware. However, as much as we
love our players, the computing power of the Archos (SH1
microcontroller) is not fully sufficent for this need.

Optimist's Answer: We can play any format if only we can write code for
the DSP to decode it. The MAS 3507 (and 3587) are generic DSPs that
simply have MP3 codecs in ROM. We can download new codecs in them and we
will be the first to celebrate if we can get OGG or FLAC or anything
into these DSPs. Unfortunately, we have no docs or tools for writing new
MAS DSP code and Intermetall is very secretive about it. If anyone can
help, please get in touch! "

I'm not talking about decoding here, since the data are already in the
decoded format (PCM). And also no mention of the WAV container that can
be seen a ID3v0 (remove the header).