Subject: Re: filesystem problems?

Re: filesystem problems?

From: Nate Nystrom <nystrom_at_cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:48:44 -0400

On Sun Sep 01 01:45:09 -0700 2002, Justin Heiner wrote:
> The latest daily builds (available for download) will most likely fix
> the problem. I'm not sure of the exact details of the solution, but I
> believe it has to do with reading/writing data while buffering. I had
> the same problem as you, and the newest firmware fixes it for me.
>
> Try it and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't go away, then
> we've got other problems to account for :-)
>
> -Justin

I just did a CVS update and tried it. Configuration: AJB6000 with
Archos 5.06 + rockbox daily build 09/01 (plus my ff/rew patch from
yesterday). Spin down time set to 2s. I'm now experiencing the
following symptoms:

About 1 in 3 times, when reading a directory or a file (e.g., when
changing directories in the dir browser or when changing tracks), the HD
light goes on, but the operation I was attempting does not complete. I
can enter the menu and return, but the dir browser is not correctly
redrawn, or is redrawn incorrectly with some of the menu text still
displayed.

I can also tried changing the disk spin down time when in this state and
when the time hit 6s, the HD light flickered off and playback resumed,
although with the wrong song.

Another symptom: ff/rewind doesn't work. The WPS changes as I'm
ffwding, but when I release the button, the song resumes where I started
the FF.

All of these symptoms seem to go away when the spindown time is 3s or
more.

Nate