Subject: Re: Use built-in MIC for auto-volume?

Re: Use built-in MIC for auto-volume?

From: Jack Peel <jhp_at_cypress.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:06:16 -0700

Actually I think you can get the "level" of the input by reading
one of the registers. Which is really what you want right ?.
The only question is how much CPU are you going to burn checking
it over and over again :)

Which brings me to something that I would like to see (yes it's all
about me! :)

One thing that I really liked about the Archos software for the recorder

was that it had level meters so I could see how strong the signal was
coming
out. This is really useful when I'm doing sound at a show, since I need
adjust the input gain to get it into the board correctly. I'm also
afraid that
it's one of those bright neon light kinda things :( Like those boom
boxes with
the 3D spectrum analyzer output (that is five bands) :) But I did find
this feature
useful.

I was looking at the data sheet for the MP3 codec chip, and it looks
like there are
4 registers that you can read to get this information. 2 for L/R record
and 2 for
L/R playback. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that it will
take a lot of
CPU to continually read this data and display it, and how do you
regulate your self
to not get in the way of the other threads for this "big neon light".

It would also lend it self to being part of the custom WPS screen that
if you want
them to put %level_l or #level_r or whatever. That way if you like
seeing the names
you can see the names, if you want to see the levels you can see the
levels :)
(and you could make a "bigger neon light" by making all the lines on the
screen be levels ! :)

Jack