Subject: RE: Faster skip forward

RE: Faster skip forward

From: Nielsen Linus (ext) <"Nielsen>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 07:16:59 +0200

> One thing I like to do is skip forward through a playlist while I'm on
> shuffle to find a track I like. It seems like the lag
> between tracks is from the loading of the next track from the HD.

Yes, but is't also because the disk spins down so quickly. We have addressed
that in the current CVS. Please try the latest daily build, raise the HD
spindown timer to perhaps 10 seconds, and see if it helps. Don't worry about
the spindown timer being high, it only waits 10s after user-initiated disk
operation, not when loading MP3 data while playing.

> Has anyone thought of
> that if you hit forward again, it already has the next track loaded.

That would slow down the disk loading. So, no, we don't want to do that.

/Linus