Subject: RE: Faster skip forward

RE: Faster skip forward

From: Nielsen Linus (ext) <"Nielsen>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:06:05 +0200

> If you don't mind me asking, how would this slow down the
> disk loading?
> I'm not sure how clear my idea is, so here's a sample scenario just to
> illustrate:

1) Having to load 5 secs of the next song just in case the user wants to
skip it wastes buffer space.
2) The mp3 buffer algorithm would be more complex, as it would have to skip
the prefetched data if the user doesn't press next.
3) The extra directory lookup, seeking, ID3 parsing and bit swapping would
probably take extra time, and would force us to use a higher watermark
level, decreasing the buffer usage and increasing the battery usage.
4) The track change detection algorithm would be more complex as well.

/Linus