Subject: Re: .lang files / I'm out

Re: .lang files / I'm out

From: Heikki Hannikainen <hessu_at_hes.iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:09:55 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Florian Mösch wrote:

> in the .po file. The use a simple script to translate
> _( "Hello World" )
> in the sources to something like
> str( HELLO_WORLD )

  This would complicate the compiling process quite a bit - would require
a new portable tool to be available (either perl, we don't currently
require perl to be installed to compile this, and a bunch of people are
compiling on windows without installing perl). The source code would have
to be filtered through this extra preprocessor every time while compiling.

  And if the ID's would be plaintext english, people would be tempted to
change them in the source - everytime one would be changed, all language
files would need to be fixed.

  This would be pretty ugly to implement, in my opinion.

  - Hessu