Subject: Re: DRAM 2MB -> DRAM 8MB

Re: DRAM 2MB -> DRAM 8MB

From: Warp Dag <warpdag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:01:46 +0200

Actually I don't agree at all!!!

Just think 5 minutes ;) Filling a 2MB or a 8MB buffer while the hard drive
is spinning takes about the same time!!! I mean, for a song, spinning up the
drive, getting 2MB of data and put it into sleep mode takes exactly the same
time than the same process with 8MB of data (the time to fill the buffer is
ridiculous compared to the time the hard drive takes to spin up). Thanks to
god the drive can get more than 1MB/sec!!!

Also, the DRAM power difference between a 2MB and 8 MB chip is meaningless.
There are a lot of 8MB DRAM chips out there that burn less power than the
original 2MB chip we currently have.

Finally, about your average power consuption calculation is flawed. Here is
the correct formula (I assume the drives will never take more than 4s to
fill the 8MB buffer):
2 MB : 50mA + 300mA * 2/100 + 500 * 3/100 = 71mA average
8 MB : 50mA + 300mA * 4/450 + 500 * 3/450 = 56mA average

But you know, you should not think in "average". Because the idea is that it
will reduce the spinning stuff, and you must know that each time you take a
heavy load on the cells you loose a lot of energy, more than what you think
in fact. For instance, if you pump 100mA continuously, your battery will
last longer than if you pump randomly at 100mA average (batteries don't like
heavy loads and prefer continuous loads).

Bye, David