Subject: Re: [patch] volume peak meter in wps

Re: [patch] volume peak meter in wps

From: Philipp Pertermann <philipp.pertermann_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:56:50 +0200

From: "Jack Peel" <jhp_at_cypress.com>
> > > Also could you put "clip" "lights" on it so that if
the MP3 goes
> > > to full scale it shows a different symbol and it hangs
out longer
> > > so that we know if the MP3 itself is clipping ?
> >
> > Yes, I could.

Now I fiddled a bit with that. I don't like it much because
it is incredibly unreliable. The 'quasi peak detector' of
the mas is very 'quasi' but not so much a 'peak detector'.
If we don't read the peak value exactly when it happens we
miss it. I now installed a polling thread that reads out the
mas quite often but still many peaks remain undetected. So
the whole peak meter is a toy and not a reliable measuring
tool.

Phil