Subject: Re: slow/delaying usb connection to archos/rockbox

Re: slow/delaying usb connection to archos/rockbox

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:55:28 +0200

Christian Folini wrote:
> in a mail to linux-usb-devel
> -> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/2571/2001/5/0/5860868/
> Björn Stenberg mentions a dead slow connection when writing to
> his Archos player.

That's only for the first copy operation. The second will be much faster (~700 KB/s).

The reason is, as I speculated in that old mail, that the FAT is very big and it needs to be read before the vfat driver can write to the disk.
Adding to the slowness is the fact that the vfat driver reads the FAT sector-by-sector instead of in larger and faster multisector chunks.

There is, I'm afraid, not much you can do about this without writing code. Adding multisector fat reading to the vfat driver would speed things up, but is non-trivial.

--
Björn