Subject: Removable topic

Removable topic

From: Christophe Avoinne <christophe.avoinne_at_laposte.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:13:51 +0200

Björn,

Linux seems to cache anything.

Windows "tries" to cache anything if the media is NOT removable.

When I plug my removable 20 Gb harddisk under Windows, I don't wait too much, but when I try to access a big directory in my removable 20 Gb harddisk, well I can feel the answer is slow because no doubt it is trying to access fat table in harddisk and not in cache.

So my opinion is for the only way to avoid to wait too much at plugging is that Linux doesn't try to cache anything except what is necessary in the case of a removable media. I'm not sure whether the jukebox harddisk is reckonized as a removable media and whether Linux handles removable media differently as Windows does.