dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: corrected german lang-file
From: Florian Mösch (
Date: 2002-09-23

>> Do we have a better word for "Scroll" in german?
>> I couldn't find it in the Duden. But who cares?
>> I would actually be "Rollbalken" which is a little bit long.
> I prefer "Scroll" even if it's english!
Me too ! I don't think we should translate each word brute force if the
english word is "established" in german texts. I haven't read or heard
"Bildlaufleiste", "Rollbalken" or something similar very often. Those
words exist but usually you talk about "Scrollbars" instead of
"Rollbalken". The same applies to "Plattenausschaltzeit":
> I find HDD better than disk, because a floppy is also a disk.
> "Plattenausschaltzeit", hmm, I don't know if I find it better. Not
> really. So let's discuss here. :)
When I first read that word I thought of vinyl... Has anybody connected
an old "Plattenteller" to his RockBOX ? :-)
Yes, the word "Festplatte" is not unusual. But it's longer than the word
"Disk" which isn't unusual in technical texts too. "Disk" or "HDD"
should be used here.

Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew