Subject: Read Retry Patch

Read Retry Patch

From: <Rdwrockbox_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:19:15 EDT

Bjorn,
I can't get chat at work, so I'm putting this on the list.

I think that you need to add the error bit in the status register into your
patch.
Section 8.25.8 of the ATA spec says that Read Multiple will transfer corrupt
data if a device failure occurs.

The patch that I was working on was very similar to yours, but I implemented
a do/while. The while included the timeout, return value, and error bit in
ATA_ALT_STATUS.

Bad read data currently would not be a major problem, but when we start file
writes, I believe that we need to have confidence in the data.

Randy Wood