Subject: Re: Need info on peak meter

Re: Need info on peak meter

From: <phil_at_x-phobie.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:53:00 +0200

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 04:16:07 +0200, Paul van der Heu <pvdh_at_xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>In order to make a functional translation of the strings regarding
>the peak meter I need a more detailed description of what the strings
>mean/represent. Especially the LANG_PM_RELEASE and
>LANG_PM_UNITS_PER_READ strings.

LANG_PM_RELEASE:
Assume we just hearded a really lound snare beat and the meter showed
full scale. Now assume that this snare beat was the last sound in the
song and silence follows. The peakmeter doesn't show silence at once
but deceases slowly. The parameter LANG_PM_RELEASE specifies how
slowly.

In the wps the peak meter reads out and displays the volume info about
20 times per second. Depending on the load of the system the frequency
of read outs can be lower. With each read out the meter can decease at
maximum by the number of pixels (= units) that is specified as the
LANG_PM_RELEASE value. This parameter makes the meter look a little
bit smoother. Also very short peaks might not get noticed because the
lcd is slow and might lack of time to become fully black during the
peak. With bigger LANG_PM_RELEASE values these peaks are noticable
more easily because the pixels stay switched on for a longer period.

English is not my native language. That these terms need explanation
shows me that I choose terms that don't describe the functionality
well. Maybe they should be replaced by something better.
Any suggestions?

Phil