Subject: Re: user editable keys binding schemes wanted

Re: user editable keys binding schemes wanted

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:34:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Björn Stenberg wrote:

> No. Some people will enjoy it, but that's a far cry from "we need it".

We need it for Rockbox to turn into the ultimate crazy geek machine!

> Name one single consumer electronic device that has completely
> reconfigurable keys. Or just name one single mp3 software, any platform,
> that has fully configurable keys.

That's exactly the point. We have a golden opportunity to break some new
ground here. To pioneer. To discover new worlds. To show the world how real
hackers do things like this!

> Mapping keys to functions is pretty simple. Making a coherent user
> interface out of it is a *LOT* more complex.

I agree with you that it is not a very easily solved task, but I'd still say
"fear not fellow weirdos, let's do some cool stuff!"

Given enough thinking, arguments and quarrels on the mailing list, we might
just come up with a system that works.

A working system would of course be able to provide today's interface, as-is
and as default, but would provide us who can't help to want to fiddle with
every darned bit that can be tweaked a means to reach Nirvana.

> Without discussing code, this issue will go nowhere. Then it's just another
> feature request, if somewhat more detailed. You must at least provide some
> idea of how you think we could implement this.

Agreed. But I had to post this mail to show my moral support for that task!
;-)

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/