Subject: Re: user editable keys binding schemes wanted

Re: user editable keys binding schemes wanted

From: <phil_at_x-phobie.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:58:44 +0200

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:08:37 -0800, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer_at_gci.com>
>I'm not really certain that I'd want to be able to remap the standard
>keys (on,off, play/pause, ff, rw, up, dn) just because it could cause
>a whole lot of headache if they were "accidently" remapped into something
>crazy (or disastrous!) by myself or a prank-playing 'friend'.

It would be a solution that comes with compliled in defaults and only
if configuration files exist in the .rockbox directory they would
extend / replace these defaults. I don't intend to make the key scheme
editable via the rockbox interface. That would be overkill even in my
opinion. Thus you have to use a text editor on your pc to create /
modify the key scheme files. If you mess them up you simply can remove
them and the compiled in default key scheme is valid again.

>I see a semi-intelligent dialog that does this:
>
> Menu-Key (combo-box: F1, F2, F3) :REQUIRED
>
> User-Key-1 (combo-box: ( FKeys minus Menu-Key minus User-Key-2), null;
> Function: (combo-box: list_of_functions minus User-Key-2.Function)
>
> User-Key-2 (combo-box: ( FKeys minus Menu-Key minus User-Key-1), null;
> Function: (combo-box: list_of_functions minus User-Key-1.Function)

With the proposed concept it would work differently. You don't use the
jukebox to reassign keys but a text editor. You would make a text file
\.rockbox\default.key containing

        key_scheme my-user-keys using default
        f1 : action(my_favorite_action1)
        f2 : action(show_menu)
        f3 : action(my_favorite_action2)

This uses all the normal key assignments but replaces the
functionality of f2 / f3 with your favorite actions. If you want to
know which actions are available you unfortunately had to look into a
c source file that is generated while compiling. It could be published
but probably would never be documented because nobody likes docmenting
code. :)

Phil