Subject: RE: new thread about remote control with display

RE: new thread about remote control with display

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:33:01 +0100

>I believe the Archos should be the master, not the remote.

I agree too :) The remote doesn't know when the current track has changed
and the display needs to be updated - only the Archos knows. It would be a
waste of power to have the remote poll the Archos for this case. The only
problem is that key presses on the remote need to be delayed if the Archos
is in the middle of tx. If we limit the packet sizes from the Archos then
we can minimize this delay. If we implement ACK packets from the remote,
then they could contain some data - which is reasonaby common practice.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the idea of a
cable/adaptor type solution, with Archos on one end and a standard serial
port on the other. This would allow anything with a serial port to display
and control the Archos. The LCD remote can be one such device too - without
limiting the solution to just one platform.

Stu.