Subject: RE: remote control

RE: remote control

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:30:05 +0100

More comments:

I would like a more modular approach to the remote hardware. I would really
like to see a cable implementation of the hardware layer. So it would have
a jack plug at each end with a small (hopefully RockBox powered) "black box"
in it. Then that could be plugged in to any actual remote hardware that
would implement the upper layers of the protocol.

Then I could make a simple adaptor to break out the audio lines, and data
lines could go to my PC or Palmtop etc.
Then someone else could make a full blown inline LCD remote to their own
design.
And someone else could make a simple non-display remote.
And someone else could make an adaptor to emulate a CD changer for their car
stereo.
All using exactly the same font end hardware.

I don't have access to PCB production facilities, and its been a long time
since I did any SMD soldering, so I think this solution would suit a wider
audience like me - people who want to connect RockBox to some other hardware
device they already have. That would mean that this cable hardware device
could be produced in a much bigger batch.

Stu.