Subject: RE: remote control

RE: remote control

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:51:18 +0100

At the moment I guess the only devices I'm thinking of are devices that have
a serial port on them - Palm, PocketPC, PCs etc. It would be kind of cool
to plug your remote in to your PC and do stuff like control winamp etc. I
realise there will have to be software written on these devices - but that's
easy for me, and for many others who might invest in a remote.

And I think the remote should be more "forwards compatable(tm)", What about
new devices that come along - like the MMJB. Or what about an IR adaptor,
now that would be cool. If the remote was made in such a way that its
firmware could be updated (via a UART for example) - the possibilities are
endless.

Thats all I'm saying here really. I'm not saying I want to connect this
remote to a MMJB and it to work, I just want it to be possible, without
having to invest in a new remote every time a new device comes along. As
has been said before - it is trivial to build an adaptor cable with discrete
components, I would add that if the remote is designed well - it should also
be trivial to write a new protocol on the remote to get it to work with
other devices.

Unfortuantely, I can't do IRC - only email. So I will shut up now ;) - on
this remote issue anyway.

Stu.