Subject: Re: RE: Mono recording possible?

Re: RE: Mono recording possible?

From: <borus_at_web.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:30:26 +0200

rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se schrieb am 15.10.02 10:37:53:

> The MAS data sheets are a bit unclear, but mono recording seems possible.
> I'm not sure if we can select channel though. I'll have to experiment a
> little...

Looking forward to the result of that experiment.

You probably know that when you convert a mono recording made on a stereo
tape deck to mp3 you get interferences when you combine both mono tracks into
one. So selecting one channel is essential for high quality mono recording.

Also it would be interesting if for stereo recordings the archos allows
different recording levels for the left/right channel (like the balance you
have in playback). Most stereo sources I have do not have an even balance -
this is a problem I run into with my other digital recorders as well.

I've started the task of converting my complete cassette collection
 (over 500 tapes) to mp3 because basically they are starting to fall apart.
I'm using the Archos for that, otherwise this task would block my PC for
eternaty. The Archos firmware is still in beta perfomance-wise and I doubt that
will change. So I can't wait to get beta testing on the first recording RockBox
firmwares :)

Martin