Subject: Re: HD problem: Status

Re: HD problem: Status

From: john hill <j.hill_at_city.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:31:03 +0100

Hi, just noticed the thread, this may be obvious, but if the problem is that
the boot sector is currupted, then, I believe there should be a copy of the
master boot record which is activated by the fdisk command "fdisk /mbr" (no
quotes). This is probably the last thing you try before formatting!!! I have
only done this with a fixed hard disk, when restoring after uninstalling a
dual boot setup. it is definately worth trawling the internet for info about
this command etc. before trying it. I have very limited knowledge in the
area, and it may be that the copy may be currupt too. I hope this is of help
and apologies if this has been previously suggested. Jo