Subject: RE: HD problem: Status

RE: HD problem: Status

From: Christian Waschnig <christian.waschnig_at_gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:26:13 +0200

The nightmare has an end. I finally succeeded in reanimate the HD without
formatting :-)

I connected the HD to internal IDE, since all tools remaining required
direct access. Then I tried "fdisk /MBR", as John suggested. No success, but
maybe fdisk did'nt even touch the HD. According to some web page, fdisk only
writes the master boot record, when the boot record signature "AA55" is not
found. Then I found a really nice IBM tool called DFT (drive fitness test).
With DFT you can make several tests (quick, advanced), and the quick test
retourned error code 0x70 (defective device). I tried the option "corrupted
sector repair", which seems to check every sector. The following advanced
test returned no more errors. Booting in the JBR now succeeded, and at first
sight all data were left intact.

Thank you for all your support!

Christian