Subject: RE: Microphone.

RE: Microphone.

From: jimg <skoop_at_slackers.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:58:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'm checking out the PG-81 on Shure's website
(http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/pg81.asp)

You're mixing apples and oranges here. The battery for the microphone
provides -phantom power- to drive the condensor; It does not "amplify"
the signal coming out of the microphone. This mic is a pro-level mic,
indicative of the XLR connection. I'm guessing you're using an XLR->1/4"
adapter-cable, and then a 1/4"->1/8" adapter plug to connect it to your
Archos? You're going to need something to -match the impedance (Z)- of
this mic to that of the Archos's input. The AC mixing board that you
mentioned was doing this. You can also purchase an in-line device,
generally called a *transformer* which will match the impedance of an
XLR'd pro-level mic to consumer-level equipment...these can be found
cheaply at Radio Shack, see:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F009%5F008&product%5Fid=274%2D016

(or if that link doesn't work, go to radioshack.com and search on part
number 274-016)

There also seem to be several devices at that minidisco.com page which
will accomplish the same thing, probably better suited for portable/MP3
recording, specifically:

http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/fel35mx.html
(this seems to do XLR->1/8"miniplug w/volume boost)

Hope that helps,

-JimG