Subject: Button Polling

Button Polling

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:01:45 -0500

This is probably a "semi flakey hardware tolerance issue" and I may just
need to be told to "deal with it".

I'm experiencing mis-read button presses with v1.4 and the latest daily
builds. If I press the down button fairly rapidly and repeatedly, as one
would do when turning down the volume or moving through directories, every
so often a FF (right) button press event occurs. This either enters a
directory or sub-menu, or the most annoying case of forwarding to the next
song when reducing the volume. I don't think this is a mechanical issue, as
it dosen't matter what angle/portion of the button I press. I've even gone
so far as to remove the R battery cover and apply upward pressure to the
little tab that is visible on the right side of the 4-way button, but get
the same results.

If I am very careful to make slightly longer button presses, it dosen't seem
to happen.

The AJBR 20 is brand new and still under warranty, however since there is no
problem with the Archos firmware, I don't think I have any recourse WRT
warranty fufillment. (also most annoying to have to off and reload 8 Gig of
data)

What I am wondering is if the button polling frequency, duration, or
whatever couldn't be "tweaked" to make Rockbox more tolerant of the
hardware, as the Archos firmware appears to be.

I mean I assume I am the only person to ever have this problem, as I haven't
seen anything like it mentioned anywhere, but I try to make myself feel less
selfish by thinking that this would make Rockbox more stable and tolerant of
"almost on spec" hardware and thus better for everyone.

What say you all?

Chris