Subject: Re: NEW UI Idea for RockBox.

Re: NEW UI Idea for RockBox.

From: Tom Alphin <talph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:50:39 -0800

A few responces:

> I'd like the menu key to toggle cyclical between views (menu - wps -
browser - id3view).

While this would certainly be a possible implementation; it loses one
benefit of my proposed design; the ability to perform simple tasks with one
hand without looking at the screen, by remembering a sequence of keypresses.
If the menu button was a toggle; you would need to look at the screen to
know how many times to tap the menu key to get to the main menu. As I
described it; "menu,right,right" would always go to the next track.

Also; to use the toggle quickly; people will have to remember the order of
screens, so that they can glance at the screen, see that it is the WPS, then
know that toggling twice gets them to the id3 view you speak of. (is that a
player only feature to make up for the small screen?)

Granted; it would still work for users with nimble fingers, which can press
"menu + left,right" to do the same task.

Do other people have any thoughts?

---tom