Subject: Re: Disk error handling

Re: Disk error handling

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:13:55 +0100

Brian King wrote:
> 1. What state is the disk ERP code in? Are there improvements that could
> still be made?

There are probably better ways to do it. We're using a rather simple error handling, where we retry for a maximum of five seconds on read error.

> 2. Would it be possible to have a higher high-watermark when the charger
> is plugged in? I was thinking this might decrease the skips.

It's possible, yes. But we have a plan for dynamic watermark handling that takes into account disk errors and the time used for reading.

> 3. Should my Toshiba drive be doing this? Are there 40G disk drives that
> people have used that behave better than this under shock?

This is annoying. I use a Toshiba 40G myself, and this never happens to me. I keep the Archos in the handlebar bag on my bicycle while riding to work, and I can assure you it shakes a lot! It's puzzling that it differs so much between different people/units.

--
Björn