Subject: Some recording testing results / free music

Some recording testing results / free music

From: Martin Borus <borus_at_web.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:53:46 +0100

Hi,

I did my first recording test with the CVS-021106 -
with a 1.28ROM JBR20GB - here's what I found:

- I selected Line-In as my first try. When I went to the recording
screen, Microphone was still selected and I heard the microphone
signal on the headphones. Line-In was chosen when tried to I adjust
the sound levels.

- After stopping the recording the STOP icon did not go away. It
even stayed on screen when I connected the USB cable (with the
volume and battery icons that stuck as well)

- I then recording digitally of my 48kHz satellite receiver. I could
hear the signal, but the meter didn't show much sound - just some
blips of maybe one of two bars. (On a later try only the left bar
showed normal-like movements) - For test purposes I left the signal
input on 44.1kHz and that's what the jukebox showed. Later checks
proved that this display was wrong - the recording was made with
48kHz - I get the same result when recording with the Archos
software - the selected sampling frequencies are just ignored.

The first digital recording worked - I tested aproximately a minute.
The next recording without rebooting the JB failed - I got the
*PANIC* screen and a zero length record.mp3 file.

I'll do some proper testing over the weekend. Already the balance
and mono options offer some advantage over the current firmware,
so it'll be fun to see where this goes.

Martin

PS: Note for all European with digital satellite:
On the Astra satellite 16 pay non-stop music channels (XTRA)
are currently unencoded and are said to stay that way until
December 15th. There's something for every taste and this is a
great opportunity to do some recording testing AND filling the
jukebox with something useful at the same time. The frequency
is 12051V - all the other necessary data is in this frequency list
at "http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml"
If you record of that and want to keep certain songs, try this free
mp3 editor "http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch". Enjoy.