Subject: More long recording tests feedback

More long recording tests feedback

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:32:59 +0100

Hi,

as promised more long recording tests today on a
1.28ROM 20GB recorder. 70% of the hard disk were
filled with various mp3s before the tests began.

I've done some long recording tests 48kHz/Quality 5 and
they seem to be OK. Biggest file size is 285MB. I also recorded
 aprox two hours of the line in in 44.1kHz/Quality 5. In total I
recorded over 10 hours - of course, I changed batteries after
each recording. Still after 5 hours the Archos has enough power
to transfer 500MB via USB...

I'm quite impressed - normally after 4 hours of continous recording
something goes wrong with the original ARCHOS software so I get a
scrambled or blank screen. Not here - congratulations!

I've got one question though: When recording nothing happens for a
long time and then there are almost every time two HD accesses in
between the HD is turned off. Is this necessary or would it not make
sense to keep the HD spinning?

Apart from that there's only one "Problem":
The skipping I mentioned last time is still there and comes
everytime. It's a minor bug: The next mp3 I play after recording
skips & retries exactly 3 times before playing normally. Doesn't have
to be the recording - it's any next mp3 I chose.

That' that, all others complains are design and will change soon
anyways. Keep on the good work.

Hint: If you change the fixed "RECORD.MP3" name in a way it allows to
do more than one recording before connecting to a PC, I'll do even
more recording tests - over this winter I plan on converting a big
part of the not-so-important cassettes of my collection to mp3 using
the Archos. I'll do 5-10 of those every weekend. Those are perfect
for testing - if something fails I don't lose important material.

Martin