Subject: Shamingly obvious question about NiMH vs NiCad chargers

Shamingly obvious question about NiMH vs NiCad chargers

From: George Michaelson <ggm_at_apnic.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:52:41 +1000

God, how embarrassing not to know these things.

If one owns an older tandy (blush) NiCad charger, is this 'safe' to use to
re-charge NiMH or are they radically different and require a different charger
and current?

Also, I spoke to a source of AC/DC plugpacks yesterday and he was pretty
adamant that the current limiting requirement to 600ma from the 9v pack or
1.2a from the 12v pack was meaningless, it was the device which determined how
much current was drawn. I didn't buy this, but also I don't *understand* this
area.

I'm not an electrical engineer. I don't even play one in Soap Operas. I don't
intend risking my device either, so I'm sticking to my US charger in a
240v->110v stepdown unit until I can get a regulated 9v/600ma DC block. I
tried one rated to 300ma, it didn't charge, but it does trigger the poweron
behaviour of the volts-in, I guess thats a mechanical switch right?

-George