Subject: VBR Files Query

VBR Files Query

From: <JJTye_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:31:37 EST

Dear Rockbox

Just a slight quibble, when playing some highly compressed VBR files the time
duration of the song is displayed incorrectly. Is this normal? Not a big
issue since I only compress at 192kbs (pointless going above 192kbs). And is
there really a difference between codecs such as Lame, Blade, Fraunhofer etc?
After all, lets say we make a 192Kbs MP3 file of the same song using the 3
codecs, no matter what codec is used its gonna contain the same number of 1's
and 0's! (And therefore all 3 variants should sound the same)

Would Archos be unhappy that we are no longer using their firmware since the
Rockbox firmware is light-years ahead? Just hope Archos don't threaten us
with legal action........

To that very nice man who suggested to me wire up a real swing-needle VU
meter into the Archos, I can go one step further :-) Find a chip that can
handle other codecs such as WMA, AAC etc, rip out the old Archos chip and
solder in the new one! (Havent tried it but may do in the future :-).... No,
Ill go another step further. Ill get one of those colour LCDs used in mini
TVs and digital camcorders so I can hook up a DVD player to the digital IN on
my Archos and rip DVDs to the hard drive! (That was a joke but we can all
dream :-) )

All the best Rockboxers

JTCP.