Subject: Re: Watermark ?

Re: Watermark ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:20:43 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Olivier Martin - diic3 wrote:

> Is someone can explain me what is a watermark ?

In this context, it is how much data there is left in the buffer when Rockbox
starts to load the next chunk of mp3 data.

Recently, Linus and Björn have moved over to a system where the "low water
mark" is dynamicly estimated due to spinup-time and bitrate of the music and
this is what's causing this last burst of reports and talk.

It is important that we don't load more data too early, as then we use the
disk more often than we have to. If we start loading too late, we run out of
mp3 data to play before new data has been loaded and it skips. See
debug->mpeg thread for details on run-time buffer usage and watermark stats.

ATM, this is somewhat problematic and one of the reasons is that the spinup
time calucalation sometimes show inpossibly low numbers. (see debug->disk
info)

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/