Rockbox mail archiveSubject: Re: Sound quality with Rockbox
Re: Sound quality with Rockbox
From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:14:33 +0100
Infoman: Joerg Boehmert wrote:
> Can it be that the sound is better with the original Archos firmware than
> with the Rockbox-firmware?
Maybe. Opinions vary widely. Some people say Rockbox has much better quality than Archos, some say the opposite.
> Am I beeing audiophile or paranoid? :-)
That's easy to test, with the help of a friend's archos (same model) and double-blind testing:
- Boot one with Archos and one with Rockbox
- Plug both units into your stereo system
- Set both units' sound settings to "flat"
- Set yourself with your back towards the stereo, or cover your eyes
- Have your friend play 10-30 seconds music segments from the units. He should not predictably switch units between segments and also not tell you when he switches.
If you can consistently tell which segments are played with Rockbox, then yes there is a difference and we'd like to know about it.
So far I haven't heard of anybody doing a serious test like this. I would be very interested in the result.
-- BjörnReceived on 2002-12-09