Subject: Re: Sound quality with Rockbox

Re: Sound quality with Rockbox

From: BoD <BoD_at_JRAF.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:46:00 +0100

By the way, I hear some ultrasound between tracks, is it normal? Is it the
"Background noise during playback" that is referred to in the feature chart
(happening during playback on archos firmware)?

BoD

"Björn Stenberg" <bjorn_at_haxx.se> a écrit dans le message de news:
20021209091433.GF18116_at_linux3.contactor.se...
Infoman: Joerg Boehmert wrote:
> Can it be that the sound is better with the original Archos firmware than
> with the Rockbox-firmware?

Maybe. Opinions vary widely. Some people say Rockbox has much better quality
than Archos, some say the opposite.

> Am I beeing audiophile or paranoid? :-)

That's easy to test, with the help of a friend's archos (same model) and
double-blind testing:

- Boot one with Archos and one with Rockbox
- Plug both units into your stereo system
- Set both units' sound settings to "flat"
- Set yourself with your back towards the stereo, or cover your eyes
- Have your friend play 10-30 seconds music segments from the units. He
should not predictably switch units between segments and also not tell you
when he switches.

If you can consistently tell which segments are played with Rockbox, then
yes there is a difference and we'd like to know about it.

So far I haven't heard of anybody doing a serious test like this. I would be
very interested in the result.

--
Björn