Subject: question from a non-programmer

question from a non-programmer

From: g wiz <zupinlop_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:40:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I'm new to this list and know nothing about
programming, but I'm hoping to figure out how to
compile my own rockbox firmware from the source code
with one small difference. I want to change the
buffer size for the text viewer.

I downloaded the source code and unzipped it, then
opened the viewer.c file. One of the first lines
is"#define BUFFER_SIZE 1024". I would like to change
it to 8096, then recompile it(or would I add it as a
patch?). It would also be nice to add som

Does anyone know offhand if that is all that would be
necessary to increase the size?

I've read the compiling pages on the rockbox site and
they only vaguely make sense. I've also downloaded a
suggested toolchain which was like 35 MEGS. I'm on
windows 98 and tried following the instructions
Setting up a compiler for windows page and when I type
the magic make command I get a bunch of errors. All
I've done is copied the unzipped files to a directory
called apps and ran the make command from there.

Am I close or waaaay off(or are you ROFL)?

Is compiling something someone without experience can
figure out-or should I give up?

Thanks

Paul