Subject: RE: Wanted: FM Recorder owner

RE: Wanted: FM Recorder owner

From: <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:20:48 -0500

Well, you've gotten your guinea pig.

The results wasn't quite what I'd hoped.

I have an Archos Jukebox Recorder Fm, with Archos firmware 1.30j.

I loaded ajbrec.ajz to my Jukebox Recorder FM's root directory. I did not
load the .rockbox directory.

I ummounted the Archos, disconnected the USB cable, and turned the Archos on
by pressing and holding the "on" button.

The Jukebox booted, and they immediately turned off (as if the battery were
too low to run); the battery level, prior to installation appeared to be
somewhat over half-charged, judging by the original firmware's battery
graphic.

When I pressed "on", the Jukebox displayed the firmware 1.30j boot screen
and gain turned itself of.

I tried again after plugging in the charger. This time, the Jukebox firmware
boot screen changed to the rockbox boot screen (?) with a graphical
"Rockbox" logo, after the firmware boot screen's "progress meter" reach
approximately 40% "done".

The rockbox boot screen appeared to overlay a listing of my root directory;
I could see, on the second screen line, the name of my alphabetically first
directory. The top screen line contained icons I hadn't seen before,
apparently rockbox style.

At this point, no button did anything except the F3 button, which removed
the "Rockbox" logo to show the first several lines listing my root
directory, again with icons on the top line; and the off button, which if
held for approximately 4 seconds, shut down the unit after showing the
firmware "shutting down" screen.

No other button appeared to do anything; I was unable to scroll the
directory listing or anything else.

At this point, I connected the usb cable to my Windows 2000 Professional
build 2195 Service Pack 3 machine. The Archos displayed its USB screen, and
the system tray hardware icon appeared, but the Archos was not recognized by
the PC, with a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error, despite the fact
that the driver (TPPALDR.EXE) was running.

I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the USB cable several times,
ummounting (Windows lingo: "stopping") the Archos each time. The Archos was
not recognized, even after a warm reboot (system shutdown and restart).

This is where I'm at now: I can't get the Archos to start unless the charger
is plugged in; I can't get it to respond to any keys except F3 to clear the
boot screen and "off" to turn it off, and I can't connect to it via USB.

Suggestions or better, solutions, would be greatly appreciated; any
questions will be answered as best I can.

--Tom